We’re looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Designer to join our Mechanical Design team. We’re a young and vibrant team of Mechanical Designers that are passionate about creating products that are inspiring, not intimidating; products that are both engaging and exciting - that help audio fans like ourselves enjoy sound.
You will have responsibility for delivering the mechanical design of Focusrite/Novation products, collaborating in Industrial Design to help assess the mechanical feasibility of new concepts, and working with the engineering teams to deliver a product ready for mass-production. With research into new processes/technologies, contribution to process improvement initiatives, we aim to deliver smart, cost optimised designs that meet the high standards of Quality, Ease of Use and Reliability that underpin our philosophy and that our customers expect.
The role provides exciting opportunities for travel to the Far East, providing onsite support to our contract manufacturers
An Ideal candidate is likely to be:
- An excellent mechanical designer with at least 2-years’ experience, delivering the mechanical design of consumer products into production to agreed schedule, cost and quality targets.
- Degree level educated, with a BEng / BSc, preferably in a Mechanical Design, Mechanical Engineering or Product Design Engineering/Science subject.
- Able to demonstrate proficiency in the use of MCAD packages (Solidworks experience is preferable).
- Familiar with, or experience of, graphic design and photo-realistic rendering software packages such as Adobe Illustrator and Keyshot.
- Knowledgeable on a wide range of manufacturing/fabrication and finishing processes commonly used in the mass production of consumer electronic products.
- Aware of the key concepts in design for thermal management of consumer electronics and has a theoretical understanding of thermodynamics.
- Aware of Environmental and Safety Certification processes and the key principles of mechanical design required to ensure compliance.
- Experienced with, or knowledge of FEA and CFD simulations.
- Scientifically minded, seeks to attain reliable data from which to base decisions.
- An excellent problem solver with proven ability to deconstruct complex problems.
- Passionate about good design, self-motivated, driven and ambitious.
- A clear communicator - pragmatic, curious and flexible.
- Interested in music and recording
We’ll be honest – Focusrite is a pretty great place to work. Incorporating both the Focusrite and Novation brands, we make music easy to make, from bedroom DJs to the greatest show on earth. Everyone who works here has an enormous passion for music: as it says on our website, sound is everything. We take that very seriously – though we have a lot of fun doing it.
As the number one selling audio interface brand worldwide, Focusrite has an illustrious, prestigious, and, let’s face it, cool history. Alongside Novation, the hardware and software that we develop plays an instrumental (see what we did there?) role in shaping the sound of modern music. From amateur to pro, our goal is to help musicians to make their music the very best it can be.
Music has always been an exciting thing to be involved with, and that’s not about to change. We embrace its evolution, and that means being open to new ideas. Our whole business is structured to let everyone contribute and be heard at all levels, and we make sure it’s a fun place to work.
Benefits include company pension, life insurance, private healthcare, and employee purchase scheme, (Plus, you get free breakfast and lunch in the canteen. No really.). Company hack-days, making things easy days, lunch and learns, external visits, and free use of a local recording studio and rehearsal space – we’re all about innovation, fresh thinking and great, great products.
We work hard. We are professional. We select really, really talented people. And we absolutely love our work. So if you think you can bring something new to the mix, we’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.